Graham Avenue–City of Benton Harbor
Mr. Jeff Noel
Located in the heart of the Edgewater Area of Michigan’s Great Southwest, Graham Avenue offers cleared property primed and ready for brownfield redevelopment. The Edgewater Area is comprised of over 422 acres of land owned jointly through a partnership agreement between the Cities of Benton Harbor and St. Joseph, Whirlpool Corporation, and Cornerstone Alliance.
The entire site is connected by bike and walking trails that lead to Jean Klock beach and into the commercial centers of both Benton Harbor and St. Joseph. The Graham Avenue area is home to a state fund Michigan Technical Education Center for Lake Michigan College. This facility provides high-tech training in a variety of fields supporting the Global Technology Centers of Whirlpools Cooking and washing division, and home to Edgewater Automation, a high tech machinery design build firm.
The site abuts such manufacturing firms as New Products and Atlantic Automotive a Visteon joint venture employing over 350 individuals.
The site is located only a few blocks to the Amtrak station, with service into Chicago, and 2 miles northeast of Southwest Michigan Regional Airport. Numerous improvements to the airport are underway. Current development calls for the relocation of the airport entrance to accommodate higher volumes of traffic & expansion of the runways to over 6500 linear ft.
· Within the next six months the Graham Avenue area will be directly connected to the City of St. Joseph thanks to the construction of a new bridge at the Paw Paw River. This bridge will directly connect St. Joseph to Main St. Benton Harbor. The sites offer tremendous visibility and access to interstate 94, 96 and the recently completed US 31 highway.
Community Offers A Proven Track Record of Successful Developments
As a part of the Edgewater Project, several projects have been recently completed including the following:
· Improvements to the North of Main Industrial Park, thanks to demolition and renovation of several facilities including Product Design Services.
· Location of the Atlantic Automotive Components Ox Creek Plant in the North of Main Industrial Park. Ox Creek was physically relocated to make room for the plant.
· Construction of the Edgewater Dunes subdivision.
· Construction and location of Edgewater Automation in the community resulting in the many jobs.
· The location of Whirlpool Cooking Technologies, resulting in over 300 jobs coming to the community.
· And much more…
Additional projects that have been undertaken within close proximity of the site include:
· Renovation of the historic Fidelity Building for a senior apartment complex.
· The renovation and lease back of the Integrity Design building, which created 18 high-tech jobs.
· The establishment of a professional corner including offices for a doctor, a dentist, a lawyer, and an accountant.
· The construction of the Woodridge Place subdivision. This development features 88 single family units which contains 10% low to moderate homeowners, 40% minority home owners, and 10% are first-time homebuyers, as well as housing sold at market price.
Amenities within Close Proximity
Located in the heart of Michigan’s Great Southwest, the Graham Avenue site is located within close proximity to many of this area’s finest cultural, social, and natural amenities. A short drive will bring you to four-star hotels, fine dining, diverse recreation opportunities, wine tasting opportunities, the University of Notre Dame football games, nationally recognized family-friendly beaches, and much more.
One of the greatest amenities of the Graham Avenue Property is its close proximity to both downtown Benton Harbor and St. Joseph. The city of St. Joseph offers a variety of unique recreational opportunities from a hands-on children’s museum, a fully endowed arts center, to quaint shops and outstanding dining opportunities, it is an excellent place to spend the day.
The City of Benton Harbor is home to the Benton Harbor Arts District, which is just a few blocks east of the Graham Avenue site. Some of the stellar opportunities available in the Arts District includes:
· Richard Hunt, the “preeminent metal sculpture of this century” according to the Smithsonian Institute, has a satellite studio The Richard Hunt Studio Center located in the arts district.
· The former Sheffield Building is a renovated building that is home to the La Jamba Gallery along with resident artists and The Bridges Theater and Workshop.
· The Hinkley Building is the oldest building in Downtown Benton Harbor. The building has been recently been renovated and transformed into Water Street Glassworks, a glass-blowing school and houses Global Greening, a retail operation that specializes in high quality outdoor products.
· A fine dining experience awaits you at The Ideal Place Restaurant.
*An incentive of tax-free state and local taxes is available on the site until 2015 through Renaissance Zone program.